- BBC News – Arsonists target saved railway signal box near Bognor
This sort of thing makes me angry. I stood in the lee of the box on many a wet and windy evening stood on Barnham railway station. It was also the venue for one of my first school trips when I was a kid. Why exactly would anyone want to set fire to the thing?
railway heritage Barnham Sussex
- BBC News – When exactly is our winter of discontent?
Interesting article cutting through some of the fluff in the media about the country being gripped by strike action.
media news strikes
- Have we found the universe that existed before the Big Bang?
Maybe, maybe not. Either way, my head hurts.
science physics astronomy
- Welcome to The Charles Close Society | The Charles Close Society
You just get the feeling that 90% of the members of this society are male.
Ordnance_Survey maps Charles_Close_Society cartography
- David Archer Maps | Ordnance Survey maps from mid-Wales
Ordnance_Survey maps shop
- British Library: Ordnance Survey: small scale maps
Classification guide for researchers.
OS Ordnance_Survey maps
- BBC News – Sussex passenger train slides for two-and-a-half miles
Good job this didn't happen on any of the sections of this line with single line operating. It could have been Cowden all over again. The leaf blowers are certainly out and about – I've seen and heard them – but "our" branch line uses different (diesel) stock, so I'm not sure they would slide in the same way.
train accident leaves
- Sniffer ‘hero rats’ saving lives in war zones and labs < Pets | Expatica The Netherlands
It takes two landmine clearance experts two days to clear a patch of 200 square metres. It takes two trained rats two hours to complete the same task.
- Iain Dale’s Diary: Is There a Future for Books?
Thoughtful article on the future of publishing. Is it as bleak as that? I hope not. I work in an industry where specialist monographs that probably only sell a few hundred copies at best have been the normal method to disseminate specialist information. Perhaps e-books might save them, but I rather suspect the publication of specialist information on specialist websites that can be easily and frequently updated are more likely to sound their death knell than the lack of bookshop distribution or low cover prices.
books publishing opinion
- SUVARNAMUKHI BIO-TECH
Huge Indian TC lab. This is the way that tissue culture is going – I know of very few European labs that still carry out production in Europe. Clean stock, protocol development and initiation in Europe, perhaps, but volume production is almost always carried out in low labour cost nations.
TC tissue_culture plants horticulture India