Modified Waitrose recipe. Serves three heartily, perhaps with some green beans or fine broccoli. Goes well with a good red wine. Takes two hours to prepare and cook.
- 450g – 500g lamb leg steak, cut into large dice
- one large onion, finely chopped
- two sprigs of rosemary – leaves finely chopped
- half teaspoon ground allspice
- two bay leaves
- one can chopped tomatoes
- two garlic cloves
- 200ml chicken stock
- three teaspoons honey
- 250g orzo
- 150g spinach leaves
- 100g feta, crumbled
- olive oil for frying
- Heat some olive oil in a large casserole pan and brown the lamb in batches until golden; set aside.
- Sauté the onion in the pan for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Return the lamb to the pan, then stir in the rosemary, allspice and bay leaves. Cook for a minute.
- Crush the garlic and stir in.
- Add the tomatoes, honey, stock and several twists of the salt grinder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook for 60-90 minutes, the longer the better.
- Rinse the orzo under cold water and then cook according to the packet. Then rinse again before adding to the casserole. Remove the bay leaves and stir.
- Rinse the spinach and stir into the casserole, then put the lid on and leave for 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Divide into bowls and then sprinkle over the crumbled feta. Serve.